Saturday, November 13, 2010

Aebleskivers


» Where do I even begin... Well, I would like to introduce you to the most amazing breakfast food ever introduced to a kitchen near you. All you have to do is procure yourself a fabulous, cast-iron Aebleskiver Pan. I first experienced the wonderment that is Aebleskivers when I was visiting my friend Irina a couple of years ago. Her father made these for us for breakfast, and it was instant bliss. Since then I got a pan for myself and make these for special occasions. The recipe came straight from her family, and is the best one I've found. Before I asked her for it, I tried searching online for something comparable, but nothing seemed quite as good or as authentic. These take a little knack to get them just right, and the first few usually turn out as flops, like the first pancake problem. But it's worth a little trial and error to taste these little round bits of heaven. By the way, it's pronounced 'Ay-bull-skee-ver.

Aebleskivers
Makes enough for about 4 people

Ingredients:
» 4 eggs
» 2 c. butermilk
» 2 c. flour
» 1 t. salt
» 1 t. baking soda
» 1 t. baking powder
» 1 apple, skinned and diced
» cinnamon sugar
» melted butter

Preparation:
» Separate the egg yolks from the whites and place in separate bowls. Add the buttermilk, flour, salt, baking soda & powder to the bowl with the egg yolk, and beat until fully combined. Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until frothy, then fold into the rest of the batter. 
» Warm the pan over medium heat and brush butter into each divet. Fill each 3/4 full with the batter. I usually start with just one or two until I make sure I have the pan at the right temp. 
» Once small bubbles start forming, add some chopped apple to each, and flip over. I usually use a fork to grab them from the inside, but do whatever works best for you, it takes a little finesse. Once they're nicely browned on both sides, remove to a plate.
» Place the cinnamon sugar and melted butter in little bowls. Dip each aebleskiver into the butter, then the sugar mix before placing in mouth.

Enjoy!

Original recipe from the Borden Family

No comments:

Post a Comment