Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Chai Shortbread


» My cookies do not look quite like the picture from the original recipe. It's impossible to get them that perfectly round! Maybe my knife wasn't sharp enough, but it was hard. Not to totally turn you off to this recipe from the get-go. They certainly do not have to be perfect. Especially since their taste makes up for any imperfection in shape :) It was a bit difficult for me to track down the cardamom, but I eventually found it at Target, though I had to buy a much, much larger jar than I would have wanted. I think I need to research recipes that call for cardamom, because I have a lot left over! But the flavor of cardamom is so unique, it is necessary for these cookies. They are wonderful "tea cookies", buttery soft with an intriguing combination of spices. It's a wonderful break from all the mint, chocolate, and peanut butter that often flavor cookies. I will certainly make these again.

Chai Shortbread
Chills for 1 hour - Makes 2 dozen

Ingredients:
» 1 1/2 c. flour
» 1/8 t. salt
» 1/8 t. ground cardamom
» 1/8 t. ground cinnamon
» Dash of ground cloves
» Dash of freshly ground black pepper
3/4 c. powdered sugar
10 T. butter, softened
1 T. iced water

Preparation:
» Combine flour and next five ingredients (through pepper), stirring well with a whisk
» Place sugar and butter in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating at a low speed until just combined (mixture will appear crumbly).
» Sprinkle dough with 1 T ice water, toss with a fork (yeah, I wasn't really sure how to "toss" it either... I just stirred it scatteringly with a fork and it seemed to work). 
» Divide dough in half. Shape dough into 2 (six-inch-long) logs; wrap each log in plastic wrap. Chill 1 hour or until very firm. I stuck my dough outside, and it was frozen through within 30 minutes, so I had to stick it in the fridge to thaw a while!
» Preheat oven to 375°.
» Unwrap dough logs. Carefully cut each log into slices using a serrated knife. Be careful because the dough likes to randomly crumble when you think you're cutting the perfect cookie. No worries though, just smoosh it back together and no one will know the difference ;)
» Place cookies 2 inches apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes. Cool pans 5 minutes, then remove cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.

Enjoy!


» Original recipe from Cooking Light, December 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment