Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Equipment: Best when Red & Shiny


So it has happened. I have become a Kitchenaid mixer snob. We were discontinuing the beautiful Empire Red mixer at the retailer I work at, and was able to procure the much coveted appliance for the low sum of $164.00. Unbelievable, eh? Especially since they run anywhere between $249.99 and $349.99.
Unfortunately, my first attempt at making something delicious with my new mixer was a horrible failure. It was late-ish and I just wanted to try it out, so I flipped through the Kitchenaid manual to the recipe section and realized I had everything for the chocolate cake. So I went for it. Uninspired, just followed the directions. As I was mixing everything I felt something was wrong, and I think I pinpointed they have you add the ingredients in the completely wrong order. Check out The Creaming Method, it will change your cake-making life (plus, she has a red Kitchenaid mixer, so she must know what she's talking about, right?) But, although I had read this before, I didn't think about it until my cake came out and was about an inch thick and extremely heavy. Epic fail. It was late and I just wanted to bake SOMETHING. I'll never make that mistake again.
However, a couple days later I was able to break in my mixer the proper way, with an inspired altered recipe, which I will post when I get another second to breathe ;)
Stay posted,
Linds

PS- if there's anything you want me to try making or try improving on, be sure to drop me a line in the comments :)

No comments:

Post a Comment